Annals of Optometry and Contact Lens 2017;16(3):98-103.
Published online September 25, 2017.
Clinical Outcomes of Retinal Arterial Macroaneurysm
Jun Ho Yoo, Seong-Woo Kim, Jaeryung Oh
Department of Ophthalmology, Korea University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Received: 27 June 2017   • Revised: 5 July 2017   • Accepted: 5 July 2017
Abstract
Purpose: To evaluate the clinical aspects and outcomes of eyes with retinal arterial macroaneurysm.
Methods: From March 2011 to December 2016, we retrospectively reviewed the medical records of patients diagnosed with retinal arterial macroaneurysm and investigated the baseline visual acuity, final visual acuity, location and type of the retinal arterial macroaneurysm.
Results: Twenty-eight eyes of 28 patients were included in the study and 23 (82%) of them were female. Retinal arterial macroaneurysm were more common in the superotemporal retina, and hemorrhagic type was in 19 eyes (68%), exudative type was in 9 eyes (32%) respectively. Twenty-one eyes (75%) were treated with focal laser photocoagulation or intravitreal bevacizumab injection or vitrectomy according to the physician's judgment, and the remaining 7 eyes (25%) were observed without any treatment. The visual acuity improved in both observation and treatment groups, but there was no statistically significant difference in the baseline and final visual acuity between two groups (p=0.140, 0.959, respectively).
Conclusions: All of the treatment methods for retinal arterial aneurysms in this study were all effective and the patient's overall visual prognosis was good. The choice of appropriate treatment modalities according to the clinical features of the retinal arterial aneurysms may be helpful for visual prognosis.
Key Words: Observation; Retinal Arterial Macroaneurysm; Treatment; Visual prognosis


ABOUT
BROWSE ARTICLES
EDITORIAL POLICY
FOR CONTRIBUTORS
Editorial Office
Korea University Anam Hospital, 73 Inchon-ro, Seongbuk-gu, Seoul 02841, Korea
Tel: +82-2-2271-6603    Fax: +82-2-2277-5194    E-mail: journal@annocl.org                

Copyright © 2022 by The Korean Optometry Society and The Korean Contact Lens Study Society.

Developed in M2PI

Close layer
prev next